2019 Legacy Awards Event Inspires Packed House of Attendees
Monday, May 6, 2019
Posted by: Leadership California
Each year, Leadership California recognizes individuals and corporations who have made significant contributions and support the advancement of women with the Legacy of Leadership Awards. This year’s award ceremony was held on May 6, 2019 at the Omni Hotel in Los Angeles.
The big event proved to be an exciting and inspiring evening. The ceremony drew nearly 350 attendees gathered to pay tribute to this year’s incredible group of honorees.
The 2019 honorees are:
- Legacy of Service Award: Gloria D. Gray, Chairwoman, Metropolitan Water District of Southern California; Director, West Basin Municipal Water District
- Leadership Champion Award (New Award): Dr. Timothy P. White, Chancellor, the California State University
- Community Leader Award: Dr. Lucy Jones, Founder and Lead Scientist, Dr. Lucy Jones Center for Science and Society
- Trailblazer Award: Monica Lozano, President/CEO, College Futures Foundation
- Trailblazer Award: Dr. Bernice Ledbetter, Dean or Students and Alumni Affairs and Director, Center for Women in Leadership, Pepperdine Graziadio Business School
- Corporate Leader Award: Southwest Airlines
Each honoree spoke to the enthusiastic crowd, offering their advice and insight into leadership and making an impact. Honorees shared stories about experiences that shaped their leadership style and spoke about hard work, setting goals, building networks and lessons learned. Each honoree inspired the crowd and perfectly highlighted why they were so deserving of the award. For more on the honorees, see there profiles here.
Leadership California was honored to recognize these outstanding leaders whose positive accomplishments are making a difference for California. These leaders exemplify the qualities Leadership California is committed to fostering in women from all sectors throughout the state through our programs. Leadership qualities that move program participants from success to significance.
Chancellor Timothy White captured the true essence of the honorees with his final comments, “I thank all of my co-honorees for their incredible contributions: Gloria…water matters; Lucy … science matters; Bernice… leadership matters; Monica…equity in education matters and Leah (Southwest)… enlightened corporate culture matters.”
In addition to the honorees, Leadership California was pleased to have Sunne Wright McPeak, President & CEO, California Emerging Technology Fund, serving as emcee and appreciate the terrific support from the Legacy Event sponsors.
The stunning awards presented to each honoree were created by Piece by Piece, headquartered in Los Angeles, which is a social enterprise providing those vulnerable to homelessness workshops in mosaic art that build marketable skills and a path to earned income.